Re: Test to dump and restore objects left behind by regression

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Test to dump and restore objects left behind by regression
Date: 2024-04-26 13:08:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 10:46 AM Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 8:35 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> > > The problem is, we don't really have any end-to-end coverage of
> >
> > > dump
> > > restore
> > > dump again
> > > compare the two dumps
> >
> > > with a database with lots of interesting objects in it.
> >
> > I'm very much against adding another full run of the core regression
> > tests to support this.
>
> This will be taken care of by Peter's latest idea of augmenting
> existing 002_pg_upgrade.pl.

Incorporated the test to 002_pg_ugprade.pl.

Some points for discussion:
1. The test still hardcodes the diffs between two dumps. Haven't found a
better way to do it. I did consider removing the problematic objects from
the regression database but thought against it since we would lose some
coverage.

2. The new code tests dump and restore of just the regression database and
does not use pg_dumpall like pg_upgrade. Should it instead perform
pg_dumpall? I decided against it since a. we are interested in dumping and
restoring objects left behind by regression, b. I didn't find a way to
provide the format option to pg_dumpall. The test could be enhanced to use
different dump formats.

I have added it to the next commitfest.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/4956/

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-pg_dump-restore-regression-objects-20240426.patch text/x-patch 4.9 KB