Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?
Date: 2017-12-01 04:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 04:01:24PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> Hi hackers,
>>
>> The manual implies that only Linux can use huge pages. That is not
>> true: FreeBSD, Illumos and probably others support larger page sizes
>> using transparent page coalescing algorithms. On my FreeBSD box
>> procstat -v often shows PostgreSQL shared buffers in "S"-flagged
>> memory. I think we should adjust the manual to make clear that it's
>> the *explicit request for huge pages* that is supported only on Linux
>> (and hopefully soon Windows). Am I being too pedantic?
>
> I suggest to remove "other" and include Linux in the enumeration, since it also
> supports "transparent" hugepages.

Hmm. Yeah, it does, but apparently it's not so transparent. So if we
mention that we'd better indicate in the same paragraph that you
probably don't actually want to use it. How about the attached?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
huge-pages-doc-tweak-v2.patch application/octet-stream 1.8 KB