Re: could not truncate directory "pg_subtrans": apparent wraparound

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: could not truncate directory "pg_subtrans": apparent wraparound
Date: 2015-06-08 00:29:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Thomas Munro wrote:
>>
>>> My idea was that if I could get oldestXact == next XID in
>>> TruncateSUBSTRANS, then TransactionIdToPage(oldestXact) for a value of
>>> oldestXact that happens to be immediately after a page boundary (so
>>> that xid % 2048 == 0) might give page number that is >=
>>> latest_page_number, causing SimpleLruTruncate to print that message.
>>> But I can't figure out how to get next XID == oldest XID, because
>>> vacuumdb --freeze --all consumes xids itself, so in my first attempt
>>> at this, next XID is always 3 ahead of the oldest XID when a
>>> checkpoint is run.
>>
>> vacuumdb starts by querying pg_database, which eats one XID.
>>
>> Vacuum itself only uses one XID when vac_truncate_clog() is called.
>> This is called from vac_update_datfrozenxid(), which always happen at
>> the end of each user-invoked VACUUM (so three times for vacuumdb if you
>> have three databases); autovacuum does it also at the end of each run.
>> Maybe you can get autovacuum to quit before doing it.
>>
>> OTOH, if the values in the pg_database entry do not change,
>> vac_truncate_clog is not called, and thus vacuum would finish without
>> consuming an XID.
>
> I have manage to reproduce it a few times but haven't quite found the
> right synchronisation hacks to make it reliable so I'm not posting a
> repro script yet.
>
> I think it's a scary sounding message but very rare and entirely
> harmless (unless you really have wrapped around...). The fix is
> probably something like: if oldest XID == next XID, then just don't
> call SimpleLruTruncate (truncation is deferred until the next
> checkpoint), or perhaps (if we can confirm this doesn't cause problems
> for dirty pages or that there can't be any dirty pages before cutoff
> page because of the preceding flush (as I suspect)) we could use
> cutoffPage = TransactionIdToPage(oldextXact - 1) if oldest == next, or
> maybe even always.

Here's a repro script and a suggested patch. (What I said about dirty
pages in parentheses above was nonsense, I was confusing this with
something else.)

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-bogus-subtrans-wraparound-error.patch application/octet-stream 948 bytes
checkpoint-subtrans-boundary.sh application/x-sh 684 bytes