Re: kqueue

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: kqueue
Date: 2017-06-22 07:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Torsten Zuehlsdorff
<mailinglists(at)toco-domains(dot)de> wrote:
> On 28.09.2016 23:39, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> It's difficult to draw any conclusions at this point.
>
> I'm currently setting up a new FreeBSD machine. Its a FreeBSD 11 with ZFS,
> 64 GB RAM and Quad Core. If you're interested in i can give you access for
> more tests this week. Maybe this will help to draw any conclusion.

I don't plan to resubmit this patch myself, but I was doing some
spring cleaning and rebasing today and I figured it might be worth
quietly leaving a working patch here just in case anyone from the
various BSD communities is interested in taking the idea further.

Some thoughts: We could decide to make it the default on FooBSD but
not BarBSD according to experimental results... for example several
people reported that macOS developer machines run pgbench a bit
faster. Also, we didn't ever get to the bottom of the complaint that
NetBSD and OpenBSD systems wake up every waiting backend when anyone
calls PostmasterIsAlive[1], which this patch should in theory fix (by
using EVFILT_PROC instead of waiting on that pipe). On the other
hand, the fix for that may be to stop calling PostmasterIsAlive in
loops[2]!

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D27K-2AP1th97kiVvKpTuria9ocbjT0cXCJqnt4if5rJQ%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D3FW33PeRxt0jE4N0truJqOepp72R6W-zyM5mu1bxnZRw%40mail.gmail.com

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
kqueue-v7.patch application/octet-stream 15.5 KB