Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc tweak for huge_pages?
Date: 2018-01-22 02:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:12 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 6:24 AM, Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> So I tried to redo the second paragraph and ended up with the
>> attached. Rationale for the changes:
>> * changed "this feature" to "explicitly requesting huge pages" to
>> contrast with the automatic one described below
>> * made the wording of Linux THP more negative (but still with some
>> wiggle room for future kernel versions which might improve THP),
>> contrasting with the positive explicit request from this GUC
>> * integrated your mention of other OSes with automatic huge pages
>> * moved the new text to the last paragraph to lower its importance
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I don't know enough about this to make such a strong recommendation
> myself, which is why I was only trying to report that bad performance
> had been observed on some version, not that you shouldn't do it. Any
> other views on this stronger statement?

Now that the Windows huge pages patch has landed, here is a rebase. I
took your alternative and tweaked it a tiny bit more. Thoughts?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
huge-pages-doc-tweak-v4.patch application/octet-stream 3.5 KB