Re: Dump-restore loosing 'attnotnull' bit for DEFERRABLE PRIMARY KEY column(s).

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dump-restore loosing 'attnotnull' bit for DEFERRABLE PRIMARY KEY column(s).
Date: 2024-03-08 11:18:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 at 17:32, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> This seems to work okay.

Yes, this looks good. I tested it against CREATE TABLE ... LIKE, and
it worked as expected. It might be worth adding a test case for that,
to ensure that it doesn't get broken in the future. Do we also want a
test case that does what pg_dump would do:

- Add a NOT NULL constraint
- Add a deferrable PK constraint
- Drop the NOT NULL constraint
- Check the column is still not nullable

Looking at rel.h, I think that the new field should probably come
after rd_pkindex, under the comment "data managed by
RelationGetIndexList", and have its own comment.

Also, if I'm nitpicking, the new field and local variables should use
the term "deferrable" rather than "deferred". A DEFERRABLE constraint
can be set to be either DEFERRED or IMMEDIATE within a transaction,
but "deferrable" is the right term to use to describe the persistent
property of an index/constraint that can be deferred. (The same
objection applies to the field name "indimmediate", but it's too late
to change that.)

Also, for neatness/consistency, the new field should probably be reset
in load_relcache_init_file(), alongside rd_pkindex, though I don't
think it can matter in practice.

Regards,
Dean