Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid

From: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid
Date: 2017-02-22 07:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen,

On 20 February 2017 at 08:50, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> The other changes to use pg_roles instead of pg_authid when rolpassword
> isn't being used look like they should just be changed to use pg_roles
> instead of using one or the other. That should be an independent patch
> from the one which adds the option we are discussing.

Sure. Attached are 2 patches, of which 1 patch just replaces ​pg_authid
with
pg_roles in pg_dumpall. The only exceptions there are buildShSecLabels()
& pg_catalog.binary_upgrade_set_next_pg_authid_oid() which I thought
should still use pg_authid.

Perhaps --no-role-passwords instead?

> Makes Sense. ​The updated patch uses this name.

> > pg_dumpall --no-pgauthid --globals-only > a.sql
>
> Does that then work with a non-superuser account on a regular PG
> instance also? If not, I'd like to suggest that we consider follow-on
> patches to provide options for whatever else currently requires
> superuser on a regular install.
>
> ​If I understand that correctly, the answer is Yes. I didn't test all db
objects,
but trying to do a pg_dumpall using a non-priviledge user does successfully
complete with all existing users dumped successfully.

pg_dumpall --globals-only --no-role-password > a.sql

> Yes, please do create a commitfest entry for this.
>
> Created Commitfest entry.

-
robins

Attachment Content-Type Size
use_pgroles_instead_of_pg_authid.diff.gz application/x-gzip 1.3 KB
no_role_password.diff.gz application/x-gzip 1.4 KB