Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid

From: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid
Date: 2017-02-19 14:42:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19 February 2017 at 17:02, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 at 10:08 Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> If anything, it should use pg_roles, not pg_user.
>>
>> I don't really like the "--avoid-pgauthid" option, but "--no-passwords"
>> would probably work.
>>

> '--no-passwords' is a good alternative.
> Would submit a patch soon.

After reviewing further, it seems that merely adding a password related
workaround wouldn't suffice. Further --no-password is already an alias for
-w, so that flag is effectively taken.

Since the main restriction with AWS RDS is the unavailability of pg_authid,
probably that is a better basis to name the flag on.

Attaching a patch to add a new flag (--no-pgauthid) to pg_dumpall that can
dump Globals without needing pg_authid. So the following works with AWS RDS
Postgres databases.

pg_dumpall --no-pgauthid --globals-only > a.sql

I'll create a Commitfest entry, if there aren't many objections.

-
robins​

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgdumpall_nopgauthid_flag.diff.gz application/x-gzip 3.0 KB