Lots of memory allocated when reassigning Large Objects

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Lots of memory allocated when reassigning Large Objects
Date: 2021-11-29 12:49:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

One of our customers had a very bad issue while trying to reassign objects
from user A to user B. He had a lot of them, and the backend got very
hungry for memory. It finally all went down when the linux kernel decided
to kill the backend (-9 of course).

I attach three shell scripts showing the issue. create.sh creates a
database and two users. Then it imports a million Large Objects in this new
database. There's no drop.sh as it is a simple "dropdb foodb".

session1_monitor.sh will start logging memory usage in the server log file
every second. So it needs v14, but our customer is in v11. While this
script runs, you can start session2_reindex.sh. This script will only run a
reassign from one user to another.

Here is what I get in the server log file:

$ grep "Grand total" 14.log
LOG: Grand total: 15560832 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 68710528 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 119976064 bytes..
LOG: Grand total: 171626624 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 224211072 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 276615296 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 325611648 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 378196096 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 429838464 bytes...
LOG: Grand total: 481104000 bytes...

IOW, it's asking for at least 481MB to reassign 1 million empty LO. It
strikes me as odd.

FWIW, the biggest memory context is this one:

LOG: level: 2; PortalContext: 479963904 total in 58590 blocks; 2662328
free (32567 chunks); 477301576 used: <unnamed>

Memory is released at the end of the reassignment. So it's definitely not
leaked forever, but only during the operation, which looks like a missing
pfree (or something related). I've tried to find something like that in the
code somewhere, but to no avail. I'm pretty sure I missed something, which
is the reason for this email :)

Thanks.

Regards.

PS : we've found a workaround to make it work for our customer (executing
all the required ALTER LARGE OBJECT ... OWNER TO ...), but I'm still amazed
by this weird behaviour.

--
Guillaume.

Attachment Content-Type Size
create.sh application/x-shellscript 292 bytes
session2_reindex.sh application/x-shellscript 122 bytes
session1_monitor.sh application/x-shellscript 274 bytes