Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date: 2017-02-20 10:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> doesn't

> >> So ... no difference?
> >

> > Yeah, nothing surprising. It's just another graph based on the same
> data.
> > I wonder how pgxact-align-3 would work on machine of Ashutosh Sharma,
> > because I observed regression there in write-heavy benchmark of
> > pgxact-align-2.
>
> I am yet to benchmark pgxact-align-3 patch on a read-write workload. I
> could not do it as our benchmarking machine was already reserved for
> some other test work. But, I am planning to do it on this weekend.
> Will try to post my results by Monday evening. Thank you and sorry for
> the delayed response.

Following are the pgbench results for read-write workload, I got with
pgxact-align-3 patch. The results are for 300 scale factor with 8GB of
shared buffer i.e. when data fits into the shared buffer. For 1000 scale
factor with 8GB shared buffer the test is still running, once it is
completed I will share the results for that as well.

*pgbench settings:*
pgbench -i -s 300 postgres
pgbench -M prepared -c $thread -j $thread -T $time_for_reading postgres

where, time_for_reading = 30mins

*non default GUC param:*
shared_buffers=8GB
max_connections=300

pg_xlog is located in SSD.

*Machine details:*
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 128
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-127
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 8
Socket(s): 8
NUMA node(s): 8
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 47
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7- 8830 @ 2.13GHz

CLIENT COUNT TPS (HEAD) TPS (PATCH) % IMPROVEMENT
4 4283 4220 -1.47093159
8 7291 7261 -0.4114661912
16 11909 12149 2.015282559
32 20789 20745 -0.211650392
64 28412 27831 -2.044910601
128 29369 28765 -2.056590282
156 27949 27189 -2.719238613
180 27876 27171 -2.529057254
196 28849 27872 -3.386599189
256 30321 28188 -7.034728406
Also, Excel sheet (results-read-write-300-SF) containing the results for
all the 3 runs is attached.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma

Attachment Content-Type Size
results-read-write-300-SF.xlsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet 7.3 KB