Re: Page Scan Mode in Hash Index

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page Scan Mode in Hash Index
Date: 2017-08-24 05:21:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Jesper Pedersen
<jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com> wrote:
> On 08/23/2017 07:38 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the new version. I again looked at the patches and fixed
>> quite a few comments in the code and ReadMe. You have forgotten to
>> update README for the changes in vacuum patch
>> (0003-Improve-locking-startegy-during-VACUUM-in-Hash-Index_v7). I
>> don't have anything more to add. If you are okay with changes, then
>> we can move it to Ready For Committer unless someone else has some
>> more comments.
>>

> Just some minor comments.

Thanks for the review.

> README:
> + it's pin till the end of scan)
>
> its pin till the end of the scan)

Corrected.

> +To minimize lock/unlock traffic, hash index scan always searches entire
> hash
>
> To minimize lock/unlock traffic, hash index scan always searches the entire
> hash

Done.

> hashsearch.c:
>
> +static inline void _hash_saveitem(HashScanOpaque so, int itemIndex,
> + OffsetNumber offnum, IndexTuple itup);
>
> There are other instances of "inline" in the code base, so I guess that this
> is ok.
>
> + * Advance to next tuple on current page; or if there's no more, try
>
> Advance to the next tuple on the current page; or if done, try to

Done.

Attached are the patches with above changes.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Rewrite-hash-index-scan-to-work-page-at-a-time_v14.patch text/x-patch 31.7 KB
0002-Remove-redundant-hash-function-_hash_step-and-do-som.patch text/x-patch 8.5 KB
0003-Improve-locking-startegy-during-VACUUM-in-Hash-Index_v7.patch text/x-patch 7.8 KB