Re: Getting server crash on Windows when using ICU collation

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting server crash on Windows when using ICU collation
Date: 2017-06-12 04:38:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

PFA patch that fixes the issue described in above thread. As mentioned
in the above thread, the crash is basically happening in varstr_cmp()
function and it's only happening on Windows because in varstr_cmp(),
if the collation provider is ICU, we don't even think of calling ICU
functions to compare the string. Infact, we directly attempt to call
the OS function wsccoll*() which is not expected. Thanks.

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am seeing a server crash when running queries using ICU collations on
> Windows. Following are the steps to reproduce the crash with the help of
> patch to enable icu feature on Windows - [1],
>
> 1) psql -d postgres
>
> 2) CREATE DATABASE icu_win_test
> TEMPLATE template0
> ENCODING 'UTF8'
> LC_CTYPE 'C'
> LC_COLLATE 'C';
>
> 3) \c icu_win_test;
>
> 4) icu_win_test=# select 'B' > 'a' COLLATE "de-u-co-standard-x-icu";
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> !>
>
> The backtrace observed in the core dump is,
>
>> postgres.exe!varstr_cmp(char * arg1, int len1, char * arg2, int len2,
>> unsigned int collid) Line 1494 C
> postgres.exe!text_cmp(varlena * arg1, varlena * arg2, unsigned int collid)
> Line 1627 C
> postgres.exe!text_gt(FunctionCallInfoData * fcinfo) Line 1738 + 0x12
> bytes C
> postgres.exe!ExecInterpExpr(ExprState * state, ExprContext * econtext,
> char * isnull) Line 650 + 0xa bytes C
> postgres.exe!evaluate_expr(Expr * expr, unsigned int result_type, int
> result_typmod, unsigned int result_collation) Line 4719 C
> postgres.exe!evaluate_function(unsigned int funcid, unsigned int
> result_type, int result_typmod, unsigned int result_collid, unsigned int
> input_collid, List * args, char funcvariadic, HeapTupleData * func_tuple,
> eval_const_expressions_context * context) Line 4272 + 0x50 bytes C
> postgres.exe!simplify_function(unsigned int funcid, unsigned int
> result_type, int result_typmod, unsigned int result_collid, unsigned int
> input_collid, List * * args_p, char funcvariadic, char process_args, char
> allow_non_const, eval_const_expressions_context * context) Line 3914 + 0x44
> bytes C
> postgres.exe!eval_const_expressions_mutator(Node * node,
> eval_const_expressions_context * context) Line 2627 C
> postgres.exe!expression_tree_mutator(Node * node, Node * (void)* mutator,
> void * context) Line 2735 + 0x37 bytes C
> postgres.exe!expression_tree_mutator(Node * node, Node * (void)* mutator,
> void * context) Line 2932 + 0x8 bytes C
> postgres.exe!eval_const_expressions(PlannerInfo * root, Node * node) Line
> 2413 C
> postgres.exe!subquery_planner(PlannerGlobal * glob, Query * parse,
> PlannerInfo * parent_root, char hasRecursion, double tuple_fraction) Line
> 623 + 0x2d bytes C
>
> RCA:
> ====
> As seen in the backtrace, the crash is basically happening in varstr_cmp()
> function. AFAICU, this crash is only happening on Windows because in
> varstr_cmp(), if the encoding type is UTF8, we don't even think of calling
> ICU functions to compare the string. Infact, we directly attempt to call the
> OS function wsccoll*().

> [...]

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_icu_collation_win.patch application/octet-stream 3.0 KB