Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes

From: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Contains and is contained by operators of inet datatypes
Date: 2016-11-13 12:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> - I am not convinced that your changes to the descriptions of the operators
> necessarily make things clearer. For example "is contained by and smaller
> network (subnet)" only mentions subnets and not IP-addresses.

I was trying to avoid confusion. <@ is the "contained by" operator
which is also returning true when both sides are equal. We shouldn't
continue calling <<@ also "contained by". I removed the "(subnet)"
and "(supernet)" additions. Can you think of any better wording?

> - Maybe change "deprecated and will eventually be removed." to "deprecated
> and may be removed in a future release.". I prefer that latter wording but I
> am fine with either.

I copied that note from the Geometric Functions and Operators page.

> - Won't renaming the functions which implement risk breaking people's
> applications? While the new names are a bit nicer I am not sure it is worth
> doing.

You are right. I reverted that part.

> - The changes to the code look generally good.

Thank you for the review. New version is attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-inet-contain-op-v2.patch application/octet-stream 47.9 KB