Re: WIP: expression evaluation improvements

From: Soumyadeep Chakraborty <sochakraborty(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: expression evaluation improvements
Date: 2020-02-20 01:17:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey Andres,

> Awesome! +1. Attached 2nd version of patch rebased on master.
> (v2-0001-Resolve-PL-handler-names-for-JITed-code-instead-o.patch)
>

> > Did you check whether there's any cases this fails in the tree with your
> > patch applied? The way I usually do that is by running the regression
> > tests like
> > PGOPTIONS='-cjit_above_cost=0' make -s -Otarget check-world
> >
> > (which will take a bit longer if use an optimized LLVM build, and a
> > *lot* longer if you use a debug llvm build)
>

> Great suggestion! I used:
> PGOPTIONS='-c jit_above_cost=0' gmake installcheck-world
> It all passed except a couple of logical decoding tests that never pass
> on my machine for any tree (t/006_logical_decoding.pl and
> t/010_logical_decoding_timelines.pl) and point (which seems to be failing
> even
> on master as of: d80be6f2f) I have attached the regression.diffs which
> captures
> the point failure.

I have attached the 3rd version of the patch rebased on master. I made one
slight modification to the previous patch. PL handlers, such as that of
plsh,
can be in an external library. So I account for that in modname (earlier
naively I set it to NULL). There are also some minor changes to the comments
and I have rehashed the commit message.

Apart from running the regress tests as you suggested above, I installed
plsh
and forced JIT on the following:

CREATE FUNCTION query_plsh (x int) RETURNS text
LANGUAGE plsh
AS $$
#!/bin/sh
psql -At -c "select 1"
$$;

SELECT query_plsh(5);

and I also ran plsh's make installcheck with jit_above_cost = 0. Everything
looks good. I think this is ready for another round of review. Thanks!!

Soumyadeep

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Resolve-PL-handler-names-for-JITed-code-instead-o.patch application/octet-stream 5.3 KB