Re: Huge memory consumption on partitioned table with FKs

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, keisuke(dot)kuroda(dot)3862(at)gmail(dot)com, tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com, tatsuhito(dot)kasahara(dot)rd(at)hco(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Huge memory consumption on partitioned table with FKs
Date: 2020-12-01 02:38:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think this can be solved easily in the patch, by having
> ri_BuildQueryKey() compare the parent's fk_attnums to the parent; if
> they are equal then use the parent's constaint_id, otherwise use the
> child constraint. That way, the cache entry is reused in the common
> case where they are identical.

Somewhat of a detour, but in reviewing the patch for Statement-Level RI
checks, Andres and I observed that SPI made for a large portion of the RI
overhead.

Given that we're already looking at these checks, I was wondering if this
might be the time to consider implementing these checks by directly
scanning the constraint index.