Re: POC: Cache data in GetSnapshotData()

From: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: Cache data in GetSnapshotData()
Date: 2016-01-15 05:53:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> I think at the very least the cache should be protected by a separate
> lock, and that lock should be acquired with TryLock. I.e. the cache is
> updated opportunistically. I'd go for an lwlock in the first iteration.

I tried to implement a simple patch which protect the cache. Of all the
backend which
compute the snapshot(when cache is invalid) only one of them will write to
cache.
This is done with one atomic compare and swap operation.

After above fix memory corruption is not visible. But I see some more
failures at higher client sessions(128 it is easily reproducible).

Errors are
DETAIL: Key (bid)=(24) already exists.
STATEMENT: UPDATE pgbench_branches SET bbalance = bbalance + $1 WHERE bid
= $2;
client 17 aborted in state 11: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique
constraint "pgbench_branches_pkey"
DETAIL: Key (bid)=(24) already exists.
client 26 aborted in state 11: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique
constraint "pgbench_branches_pkey"
DETAIL: Key (bid)=(87) already exists.
ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint
"pgbench_branches_pkey"
DETAIL: Key (bid)=(113) already exists.

After some analysis I think In GetSnapshotData() while computing snapshot.
/*
* We don't include our own XIDs (if any) in the snapshot,
but we
* must include them in xmin.
*/
if (NormalTransactionIdPrecedes(xid, xmin))
xmin = xid;
*********** if (pgxact == MyPgXact) ******************
continue;

We do not add our own xid to xip array, I am wondering if other backend try
to use
the same snapshot will it be able to see changes made by me(current
backend).
I think since we compute a snapshot which will be used by other backends we
need to
add our xid to xip array to tell transaction is open.
--
Thanks and Regards
Mithun C Y

Attachment Content-Type Size
cache_snapshot_data_avoid_cuncurrent_write_to_cache.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB