Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin

From: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary support for pgoutput plugin
Date: 2019-06-11 19:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, before I go too much further down this rabbit hole I'd like feedback on
the current code. See attached patch

There is one obvious hack where in binary mode I reset the input cursor to
allow the binary input to be re-read
From what I can tell the alternative is to convert the data in
logicalrep_read_tuple but that would require moving a lot of the logic
currently in worker.c to proto.c. This seems minimally invasive.

and thanks Petr for the tip to use pglogical for ideas.

Thanks,
Dave Cramer

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-First-pass-at-working-code-without-subscription-opti.patch application/octet-stream 21.3 KB