Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"

From: Jan de Visser <jan(at)de-visser(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"
Date: 2015-07-03 20:47:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached a new patch, rebased against the current head. Errors in
pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf are now also noticed.

I checked the documentation for pg_ctl reload, and the only place where
it's explained seems to be runtime.sgml and that description is so
high-level that adding this new bit of functionality wouldn't make much
sense.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Jan de Visser <jan(at)de-visser(dot)net> wrote:

> On April 22, 2015 06:04:42 PM Payal Singh wrote:
> > The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> > make installcheck-world: not tested
> > Implements feature: tested, failed
> > Spec compliant: not tested
> > Documentation: tested, failed
> >
> > Error in postgresql.conf gives the expected result on pg_ctl reload,
> > although errors in pg_hba.conf file don't. Like before, reload completes
> > fine without any information that pg_hba failed to load and only
> > information is present in the log file. I'm assuming pg_ctl reload should
> > prompt user if file fails to load irrespective of which file it is -
> > postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf.
>
> Will fix. Not hard, just move the code that writes the .pid file to after
> the
> pg_hba reload.
>

> > There is no documentation change so far, but I guess that's not yet
> > necessary.
>
> I will update the page for pg_ctl. At least the behaviour of -w/-W in
> relation
> to the reload command needs explained.
>

> > gmake check passed all tests.
> >
> > The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author
>
> jan

Attachment Content-Type Size
Let_pg_ctl_check_the_result_of_a_postmaster_config_reload_v3.patch text/x-patch 11.6 KB