Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2016-02-02 15:13:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> If there are hooks, I don't think that we should really bother about
>>> having in core anything more complicated than what we have now. The
>>> trick will be to come up with a hook design modular enough to support
>>> the kind of configurations mentioned on this thread. Roughly perhaps a
>>> refactoring of the syncrep code so as it is possible to wait for
>>> multiple targets some of them being optional,, one modular way in
>>> pg_stat_get_wal_senders to represent the status of a node to user, and
>>> another hook to return to decide which are the nodes to wait for. Some
>>> of the nodes being waited for may be based on conditions for quorum
>>> support. That's a hard problem to do that in a flexible enough way.
>>
>> Hm, I think not-nested quorum and priority are not complicated, and we
>> should support at least both or either simple method in core of
>> postgres.
>> More complicated method like using json-style, or dedicated language
>> would be supported by external module.
>
> So what about the following plan?
>
> [first version]
> Add only synchronous_standby_num which specifies the number of standbys
> that the master must wait for before marking sync replication as completed.
> This version supports simple use cases like "I want to have two synchronous
> standbys".
>
> [second version]
> Add synchronous_replication_method: 'prioriry' and 'quorum'. This version
> additionally supports simple quorum commit case like "I want to ensure
> that WAL is replicated synchronously to at least two standbys from five
> ones listed in s_s_names".
>
> Or
>
> Add something like quorum_replication_num and quorum_standby_names, i.e.,
> the master must wait for at least q_r_num standbys from ones listed in
> q_s_names before marking sync replication as completed. Also the master
> must wait for sync replication according to s_s_num and s_s_num.
> That is, this approach separates 'priority' and 'quorum' to each parameters.
> This increases the number of GUC parameters, but ISTM less confusing, and
> it supports a bit complicated case like "there is one local standby and three
> remote standbys, then I want to ensure that WAL is replicated synchronously
> to the local standby and at least two remote one", e.g.,
>
> s_s_num = 1, s_s_names = 'local'
> q_s_num = 2, q_s_names = 'remote1, remote2, remote3'
>
> [third version]
> Add the hooks for more complicated sync replication cases.
>
> I'm thinking that the realistic target for 9.6 might be the first one.

Thank you for suggestion.

I agree with first version, and attached the updated patch which are
modified so that it supports simple multiple sync replication you
suggested.
(but test cases are not included yet.)

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada

Attachment Content-Type Size
000_multi_sync_replication_v7.patch text/x-patch 13.5 KB