Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Date: 2018-06-05 10:13:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Regarding to API design, should we use 2PC for a distributed
>> transaction if both two or more 2PC-capable foreign servers and
>> 2PC-non-capable foreign server are involved with it? Or should we end
>> up with an error? the 2PC-non-capable server might be either that has
>> 2PC functionality but just disables it or that doesn't have it.
>
> It seems to me that this is functionality that many people will not
> want to use. First, doing a PREPARE and then a COMMIT for each FDW
> write transaction is bound to be more expensive than just doing a
> COMMIT. Second, because the default value of
> max_prepared_transactions is 0, this can only work at all if special
> configuration has been done on the remote side. Because of the second
> point in particular, it seems to me that the default for this new
> feature must be "off". It would make to ship a default configuration
> of PostgreSQL that doesn't work with the default configuration of
> postgres_fdw, and I do not think we want to change the default value
> of max_prepared_transactions. It was changed from 5 to 0 a number of
> years back for good reason.

I'm not sure that many people will not want to use this feature
because it seems to me that there are many people who don't want to
use the database that is missing transaction atomicity. But I agree
that this feature should not be enabled by default as we disable 2PC
by default.

> So, I think the question could be broadened a bit: how you enable this
> feature if you want it, and what happens if you want it but it's not
> available for your choice of FDW? One possible enabling method is a
> GUC (e.g. foreign_twophase_commit). It could be true/false, with true
> meaning use PREPARE for all FDW writes and fail if that's not
> supported, or it could be three-valued, like require/prefer/disable,
> with require throwing an error if PREPARE support is not available and
> prefer using PREPARE where available but without failing when it isn't
> available. Another possibility could be to make it an FDW option,
> possibly capable of being set at multiple levels (e.g. server or
> foreign table). If any FDW involved in the transaction demands
> distributed 2PC semantics then the whole transaction must have those
> semantics or it fails. I was previous leaning toward the latter
> approach, but I guess now the former approach is sounding better. I'm
> not totally certain I know what's best here.

I agree that the former is better. That way, we also can control that
parameter at transaction level. If we allow the 'prefer' behavior we
need to manage not only 2PC-capable foreign server but also
2PC-non-capable foreign server. It requires all FDW to call the
registration function. So I think two-values parameter would be
better.

BTW, sorry for late submitting the updated patch. I'll post the
updated patch in this week but I'd like to share the new APIs design
beforehand.

APIs that I'd like to add are 4 functions and 1 registration function:
PrepareForeignTransaction, CommitForeignTransaction,
RollbackForeignTransaction, IsTwoPhaseCommitEnabled and
FdwXactRegisterForeignServer. All FDWs that want to support atomic
commit have to support all APIs and to call the registration function
when foreign transaction opens.

Transaction processing sequence with atomic commit will be like follows.

1. FDW begins a transaction on a 2PC-capable foreign server.
2. FDW registers the foreign server with/without a foreign transaction
identifier by calling FdwXactRegisterForeignServer().
* The passing foreign transaction identifier can be NULL. If it's
NULL, the core code constructs it like 'fx_<4 random
chars>_<serverid>_<userid>'.
* Providing foreign transaction identifier at beginning of
transaction is useful because some DBMS such as Oracle database or
MySQL requires a transaction identifier at beginning of its XA
transaction.
* Registration the foreign transaction guarantees that its
transaction is controlled by the core and APIs are called at an
appropriate time.
3. Perform 1 and 2 whenever the distributed transaction opens a
transaction on 2PC-capable foreign servers.
* When the distributed transaction modifies a foreign server, we
mark it as 'modified'.
* This mark is used at commit to check if it's necessary to use 2PC.
* At the same time, we also check if the foreign server enables
2PC by calling IsTwoPhaseCommitEnabled().
* If an FDW disables or doesn't provide that function, we mark
XACT_FALGS_FDWNONPREPARE. This is necessary because we need to
remember wrote 2PC-non-capable foreign server.
* When the distributed transaction modifies temp table locally,
mark XACT_FALGS_WROTENONTEMREL.
* This is used at commit to check i it's necessary to use 2PC as well.
4. During pre-commit, we prepare all foreign transaction if 2PC is
required by calling PrepareFOreignTransaciton()
* If we don't need to use 2PC, we commit all foreign transactions
by calling CommitForeignTransaction() with 'prepared' == false.
* If transaction raises an error during or until pre-commit for
whatever reason, we rollback them calling
RollbackForeignTransaction(). In case of rollback, we could call
RollbackForeignTransaction() with 'prepared' == true but the
corresponding foreign transaction might not exist. This is an API
contract.
5. Local commit
6. Launch a foreign transaction resolver process and wait for it to
resolve all foreign transactions.
* The foreign transactions are resolved according to the status of
local transaction by calling CommitForeignTransaciton or
RollbackForeignTransaction() with 'prepared' == true.
7. After resolved all foreign transactions, the resolver process wake
the waiting backend process up.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada