Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log
Date: 2017-08-15 01:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Currently vacuum verbose outputs vacuum logs as follows. The first log
message INFO: vacuuming "public.hoge" writes the relation name with
schema name but subsequent vacuum logs output only relation name
without schema name. I've encountered a situation where there are some
same name tables in different schemas and the concurrent vacuum logs
made me hard to distinguish tables. Is there any reasons why we don't
write an explicit name in vacuum verbose logs? If not, can we add
schema names to be more clearly?

=# vacuum verbose hoge;
INFO: vacuuming "public.hoge"
INFO: index "hoge_idx" now contains 100000 row versions in 276 pages
DETAIL: 0 index row versions were removed.
0 index pages have been deleted, 0 are currently reusable.
CPU: user: 0.00 s, system: 0.00 s, elapsed: 0.00 s.
INFO: "hoge": found 0 removable, 108 nonremovable row versions in 1
out of 443 pages
DETAIL: 0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet, oldest xmin: 559
There were 0 unused item pointers.
Skipped 0 pages due to buffer pins, 0 frozen pages.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU: user: 0.00 s, system: 0.00 s, elapsed: 0.00 s.
VACUUM

Attached patch and will add to commit fest.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuum_more_explicit_relname.patch application/octet-stream 5.7 KB