Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "m(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com" <m(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>, "ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com" <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, "alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com" <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "ildar(at)adjust(dot)com" <ildar(at)adjust(dot)com>, "horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp" <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com" <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp" <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2020-11-25 12:50:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 2:11 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 12:15 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:39 AM Masahiko Sawada
> > <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > > I guess since FDW interfaces may be affected by the feature
> > > architecture we can discuss later.

> > > What is in your mind regarding the implementation of parallel prepare
> > > and commit? Given that some FDW plugins don't support asynchronous
> > > execution I guess we need to use parallel workers or something. That
> > > is, the backend process launches parallel workers to
> > > prepare/commit/rollback foreign transactions in parallel. I don't deny
> > > this approach but it'll definitely make the feature complex and needs
> > > more codes.
> > >
> > > My point is a small start and keeping simple the first version. Even
> > > if we need one or more years for this feature, I think that
> > > introducing the simple and minimum functionality as the first version
> > > to the core still has benefits. We will be able to have the
> > > opportunity to get real feedback from users and to fix bugs in the
> > > main infrastructure before making it complex. In this sense, the patch
> > > having the backend return without waits for resolution after the local
> > > commit would be a good start as the first version (i.g., up to
> > > applying v26-0006 patch). Anyway, the architecture should be
> > > extensible enough for future improvements.
> > >
> > > For the performance improvements, we will be able to support
> > > asynchronous and/or prepare/commit/rollback. Moreover, having multiple
> > > resolver processes on one database would also help get better
> > > through-put. For the user who needs much better through-put, the user
> > > also can select not to wait for resolution after the local commit,
> > > like synchronous_commit = ‘local’ in replication.

> > > Understood. I'll add an explanation about the message flow and disk
> > > writes to the wiki page.
> >
> > Done.
> >

> > > We need to consider the point of error handling during resolving
> > > foreign transactions too.

> > > I suspect the story is somewhat different. libpq fortunately supports
> > > asynchronous execution, but when it comes to canceling the foreign
> > > transaction resolution I think basically all FDW plugins are in the
> > > same situation at this time. We can choose whether to make it
> > > cancellable or not. According to the discussion so far, it completely
> > > depends on the architecture of this feature. So my point is whether
> > > it's worth to have this functionality for users and whether users want
> > > it, not whether postgres_fdw is ok.
> > >

> > I've thought again about the idea that once the backend failed to
> > resolve a foreign transaction it leaves to a resolver process. With
> > this idea, the backend process perform the 2nd phase of 2PC only once.
> > If an error happens during resolution it leaves to a resolver process
> > and returns an error to the client. We used to use this idea in the
> > previous patches and it’s discussed sometimes.

> [...]

Since the previous version conflicts with the current HEAD I've
attached the rebased version patch set.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v29-0011-Add-regression-tests-for-foreign-twophase-commit.patch application/octet-stream 44.4 KB
v29-0009-postgres_fdw-marks-foreign-transaction-as-modifi.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB
v29-0006-Add-GetPrepareId-API.patch application/octet-stream 4.5 KB
v29-0008-Prepare-foreign-transactions-at-commit-time.patch application/octet-stream 18.2 KB
v29-0010-Documentation-update.patch application/octet-stream 42.9 KB
v29-0007-Introduce-foreign-transaction-launcher-and-resol.patch application/octet-stream 44.9 KB
v29-0005-postgres_fdw-supports-prepare-API.patch application/octet-stream 9.1 KB
v29-0003-Recreate-RemoveForeignServerById.patch application/octet-stream 2.9 KB
v29-0004-Add-PrepareForeignTransaction-API.patch application/octet-stream 96.7 KB
v29-0002-postgres_fdw-supports-commit-and-rollback-APIs.patch application/octet-stream 19.9 KB
v29-0001-Introduce-transaction-manager-for-foreign-transa.patch application/octet-stream 13.7 KB