Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2018-08-03 08:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to me that this is functionality that many people will not
>>> want to use. First, doing a PREPARE and then a COMMIT for each FDW
>>> write transaction is bound to be more expensive than just doing a
>>> COMMIT. Second, because the default value of
>>> max_prepared_transactions is 0, this can only work at all if special
>>> configuration has been done on the remote side. Because of the second
>>> point in particular, it seems to me that the default for this new
>>> feature must be "off". It would make to ship a default configuration
>>> of PostgreSQL that doesn't work with the default configuration of
>>> postgres_fdw, and I do not think we want to change the default value
>>> of max_prepared_transactions. It was changed from 5 to 0 a number of
>>> years back for good reason.
>>
>> I'm not sure that many people will not want to use this feature
>> because it seems to me that there are many people who don't want to
>> use the database that is missing transaction atomicity. But I agree
>> that this feature should not be enabled by default as we disable 2PC
>> by default.
>>

>>> So, I think the question could be broadened a bit: how you enable this
>>> feature if you want it, and what happens if you want it but it's not
>>> available for your choice of FDW? One possible enabling method is a
>>> GUC (e.g. foreign_twophase_commit). It could be true/false, with true
>>> meaning use PREPARE for all FDW writes and fail if that's not
>>> supported, or it could be three-valued, like require/prefer/disable,
>>> with require throwing an error if PREPARE support is not available and
>>> prefer using PREPARE where available but without failing when it isn't
>>> available. Another possibility could be to make it an FDW option,
>>> possibly capable of being set at multiple levels (e.g. server or
>>> foreign table). If any FDW involved in the transaction demands
>>> distributed 2PC semantics then the whole transaction must have those
>>> semantics or it fails. I was previous leaning toward the latter
>>> approach, but I guess now the former approach is sounding better. I'm
>>> not totally certain I know what's best here.
>>>

>> I agree that the former is better. That way, we also can control that
>> parameter at transaction level. If we allow the 'prefer' behavior we
>> need to manage not only 2PC-capable foreign server but also
>> 2PC-non-capable foreign server. It requires all FDW to call the
>> registration function. So I think two-values parameter would be
>> better.
>>
>> BTW, sorry for late submitting the updated patch. I'll post the
>> updated patch in this week but I'd like to share the new APIs design
>> beforehand.
>
> Attached updated patches.
>
> I've changed the new APIs to 5 functions and 1 registration function
> because the rollback API can be called by both backend process and
> [...]

I attached the updated version patch as the previous versions conflict
with the current HEAD.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v17-0001-Keep-track-of-writing-on-non-temporary-relation.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB
v17-0002-Support-atomic-commit-among-multiple-foreign-ser.patch application/octet-stream 198.9 KB
v17-0003-postgres_fdw-supports-atomic-commit-APIs.patch application/octet-stream 49.8 KB
v17-0004-Add-regression-tests-for-atomic-commit.patch application/octet-stream 8.1 KB