Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2018-11-15 10:36:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 6:03 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 10:16 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 9:06 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thank youf so much for reviewing this patch!

> > > I think even if we do atomic commit for modifying the an UNLOGGED
> > > table and a remote table the data will get inconsistent if the local
> > > server crashes. For example, if the local server crashes after
> > > prepared the transaction on foreign server but before the local commit
> > > and, we will lose the all data of the local UNLOGGED table whereas the
> > > modification of remote table is rollbacked. In case of persistent
> > > tables, the data consistency is left. So I think the keeping data
> > > consistency between remote data and local unlogged table is difficult
> > > and want to leave it as a restriction for now. Am I missing something?

> > > Yeah, or we can set the flag after heap_insert in ExecInsert.

> > > +1, will fix it.

> > > Indeed. We can register foreign servers by executor while FDWs don't
> > > need to register anything. I will remove the registration function so
> > > that FDW developers don't need to call the register function but only
> > > need to provide atomic commit APIs.

> > > I might have not gotten your comment correctly but since the
> > > foreign_twophase_commit is a PGC_USERSET parameter I think we need to
> > > check it at commit time. Also we need to keep participant servers even
> > > when foreign_twophase_commit is off if both max_prepared_foreign_xacts
> > > and max_foreign_xact_resolvers are > 0.
> > >
> > > I will post the updated patch in this week.
> > >

> > Attached the updated version patches.
> >
> > Based on the review comment from Horiguchi-san, I've changed the
> > atomic commit API so that the FDW developer who wish to support atomic
> > commit don't need to call the register function. The atomic commit
> > APIs are following:
> >
> > * GetPrepareId
> > * PrepareForeignTransaction
> > * CommitForeignTransaction
> > * RollbackForeignTransaction
> > * ResolveForeignTransaction
> > * IsTwophaseCommitEnabled
> >
> > The all APIs except for GetPreapreId is required for atomic commit.
> >
> > Also, I've changed the foreign_twophase_commit parameter to an enum
> > parameter based on the suggestion from Robert[1]. Valid values are
> > 'required', 'prefer' and 'disabled' (default). When set to either
> > 'required' or 'prefer' the atomic commit will be used. The difference
> > between 'required' and 'prefer' is that when set to 'requried' we
> > require for *all* modified server to be able to use 2pc whereas when
> > 'prefer' we require 2pc where available. So if any of written
> > participants disables 2pc or doesn't support atomic comit API the
> > transaction fails. IOW, when 'required' we can commit only when data
> > consistency among all participant can be left.
> >
> > Please review the patches.
> >

> Since the previous patch conflicts with current HEAD attached updated
> set of patches.

Rebased and fixed a few bugs.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v22-0001-Keep-track-of-writing-on-non-temporary-relation.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB
v22-0003-postgres_fdw-supports-atomic-commit-APIs.patch application/octet-stream 52.2 KB
v22-0004-Add-regression-tests-for-atomic-commit.patch application/octet-stream 8.1 KB
v22-0002-Support-atomic-commit-among-multiple-foreign-ser.patch application/octet-stream 212.6 KB