Re: FSM versus GIN pending list bloat

From: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FSM versus GIN pending list bloat
Date: 2015-09-03 17:46:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I have a simple test case that inserts an array of 101 md5 digests into each
>> row. With 10_000 of these rows inserted into an already indexed table, I
>> get 40MB for the table and 80MB for the index unpatched. With the patch, I
>> get 7.3 MB for the index.
>
> Uh, wow. Seems like we should do something about this.

I looked into this patch.
The patch is applied cleanly, and complied without error.
I think it works as we expected, but the patch has some unnecessary white space.
Also the today document says that pending list is cleaned up by only
vacuum, we need to document about this?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada