Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?

From: Benedict Holland <benedict(dot)m(dot)holland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update blocking a select count(*)?
Date: 2012-06-15 18:46:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yes I actually seem to have two of them for the single update. The update I
am running will set the value of a single column in the table without a
where clause. I actually have two AccessShareLock's, two ExclusiveLock's,
and two RowExclusiveLock's. It sort of seems like overkill for what should
be a copy the column to make the updates, make updates, and publish updates
set of operations. On my select statement I have an ExclusiveLock and an
AccessShareLock. I read the documentation on locking but this seems very
different from what I should expect.

I am running an update statement without a where clause (so a full table
update). This is not an alter table statement (though I am running that too
and it is being blocked). I am looking in the SeverStatus section of
pgadmin3. There are three queries which are in green (not blocked), two
statements which are in red (an alter as expected and a select count(*)
which are blocked by an update process).

I can not tell you how many documents I have read for locks, statements
which generate locks etc. I accept that this will run slowly, what pgadmin3
is displaying to me is the described behavior.

Thanks,
~Ben

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov