Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.
Date: 2020-04-02 16:05:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 6:59 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> index fetches will never even try to
> detect that tuples it needs actually have already been pruned away.

I looked at this flavor of problem today and from what I saw:

(1) This has been a problem all the way back to 9.6.0.
(2) The behavior is correct if the index creation is skipped or if
enable_indexscan is turned off in the transaction, confirming Andres'
analysis.
(3) Pruning seems to happen as intended; the bug found by Peter seems to be
entirely about failing to TestForOldSnapshot() where needed.

--
Kevin Grittner
VMware vCenter Server