Proposal to have INCLUDE/EXCLUDE options for altering option values

From: Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal to have INCLUDE/EXCLUDE options for altering option values
Date: 2024-04-26 05:35:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi PostgreSQL Community,
Recently I have been working on foreign servers regarding my project and
wanted to add some extensions in server options to support query pushdown.
For this, suppose I had 20 extensions in the beginning I used ALTER SERVER
srv OPTIONS (ADD EXTENSIONS 'all 20 extensions'), then again, I had to add
a few or drop some, I had to write names of all the 20 extensions
including/excluding some.
I wonder why we can't have some sort of INCLUDE / EXCLUDE option for this
use case that can be useful for other options as well which have
comma-separated values. I believe this is a useful feature to have for the
users.
Since I needed that support, I took the initiative to contribute to the
community. In addition, I have improved the documentation too as currently
while reading the documentation it looks like ADD can be used multiple
times even to include some values on top of existing values.
Attached is the patch for the same. Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards
Ayush Vatsa
Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Enhance-CREATE-ALTER-statement-with-extended-supp.patch application/x-patch 23.9 KB