Re: Proposal to include --exclude-extension Flag in pg_dump

From: Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to include --exclude-extension Flag in pg_dump
Date: 2024-03-16 17:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> In my opinion the order of options in pg_dump.sgml and the --help

> output is fine. Keeping this new option together with -e/--extension

> makes it easier to see, while otherwise it would get lost much further

> down.

I agree with your suggestion, so I'll maintain the original order as
proposed.

> The --filter option should be extended to support "exclude

> extension pattern" lines in the filter file. That syntax is already

> accepted, but it throws a not-supported error, but it's hopefully not

> too hard to make that work now.

While proposing the --exclude-extension flag in pg_dump, the --filter
option

wasn't there, so it got overlooked. But now that I've familiarized myself
with it

and have tried to enhance its functionality with exclude-extension in the

provided patch. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

> It ought to have some tests in the test script.

Correct, I must have added it in the first patch itself.

As a newcomer to the database, I explored how testing works and tried

to include test cases for the newly added flag. I've confirmed that all
test

cases, including the ones I added, are passing.

Attached is the complete patch with all the required code changes.

Looking forward to your review and feedback.

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 at 16:04, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 at 13:28, Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > According to the documentation of pg_dump when the --extension option is
> not specified, all non-system extensions in the target database will get
> dumped.
> > > Why do we need to explicitly exclude extensions?
> > Hence to include only a few we use --extension, but to exclude a few I
> am proposing --exclude-extension.
> >

> Thanks for working on this. It seems like a useful feature to have.
> The code changes look good, and it appears to work as expected.
>
> In my opinion the order of options in pg_dump.sgml and the --help
> output is fine. Keeping this new option together with -e/--extension
> makes it easier to see, while otherwise it would get lost much further
> down. Other opinions on that might differ though.
>
> There are a couple of things missing from the patch, that should be added:
>
> 1). The --filter option should be extended to support "exclude
> extension pattern" lines in the filter file. That syntax is already
> accepted, but it throws a not-supported error, but it's hopefully not
> too hard to make that work now.
>
> 2). It ought to have some tests in the test script.
>
> Regards,
> Dean

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-support-for-exclude-extension-in-pg_dump.patch application/octet-stream 11.5 KB