Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?
Date: 2019-03-10 17:11:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 1:14 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I took a quick look at this. I went ahead and pushed the parts that
> were just code cleanup in reformat_dat_file.pl, since that seemed
> pretty uncontroversial. As far as the rest of it goes:

Okay, thanks.

> * I'm really not terribly happy with sticking this functionality into
> reformat_dat_file.pl. First, there's an issue of discoverability:
> it's not obvious that a script named that way would have such an
> ability. Second, it clutters the script in a way that seems to me
> to hinder its usefulness as a basis for one-off hacks. So I'd really
> rather have a separate script named something like "renumber_oids.pl",
> even if there's a good deal of code duplication between it and
> reformat_dat_file.pl.

> * In my vision of what this might be good for, I think it's important
> that it be possible to specify a range of input OIDs to renumber, not
> just "everything above N". I agree the output range only needs a
> starting OID.

Now it looks like:

perl renumber_oids.pl --first-mapped-oid 8000 --last-mapped-oid 8999
--first-target-oid 2000 *.dat

To prevent a maintenance headache, I didn't copy any of the formatting
logic over. You'll also have to run reformat_dat_files.pl afterwards
to restore that. It seems to work, but I haven't tested thoroughly.

--
John Naylor https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Provide-script-to-renumber-OIDs.patch text/x-patch 7.1 KB