Re: Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)

From: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Jones <jim(dot)jones(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>
Cc: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)
Date: 2023-02-25 04:03:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 7:09 AM Jim Jones <jim(dot)jones(at)uni-muenster(dot)de> wrote:

> On 23.02.23 20:55, Kirk Wolak wrote:
> > Everyone,
> ... SQL_EXEC_TIME
> > I think like ROW_COUNT, it should not change because of internal
> > commands.
> > So, you guys +1 this thing, give additional comments. When the
> > feedback settles, I commit to making it happen.
> >
> > Thanks, Kirk
> >
> I can see it being pretty handy to check if a certain task involving two
> different terminal windows was done in the right order. Basically to see
> what went wrong, e.g. "did I really stop the master database before
> promoting the replica?"
>
> +1 !
>
> Best, Jim

Jim, thanks, here is that patch for the %T option, but I think you did a +1
for the new psql variable :SQL_EXEC_TIME.
I realized my communication style needs to be cleaner, I caused that with
the lead in.

I created this proposal because I felt it was an excellent suggestion, and
I think it will be trivial to implement, although
it will involve a lot more testing... MANY times, I have run a query that
took a touch too long, and I was wondering how long EXACTLY did that take.
This makes it easy \echo :SQL_EXEC_TIME (Well, I think it will be
SQL_EXEC_ELAPSED)

regards, kirk

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-prompt-t.patch text/plain 2.5 KB