Re: Infinite Interval

From: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Infinite Interval
Date: 2023-01-04 16:43:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 3, 2023 at 6:14 AM Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have another patch, this one adds validations to operations that
> return intervals and updated error messages. I tried to give all of the
> error messages meaningful text, but I'm starting to think that almost all
> of them should just say "interval out of range". The current approach
> may reveal some implementation details and lead to confusion. For
> example, some subtractions are converted to additions which would lead
> to an error message about addition.
>
> SELECT date 'infinity' - interval 'infinity';
> ERROR: cannot add infinite values with opposite signs
>
> I've also updated the commit message to include the remaining TODOs,
> which I've copied below
>
> 1. Various TODOs in code.
> 2. Correctly implement interval_part for infinite intervals.
> 3. Test consolidation.
> 4. Should we just use the months field to test for infinity?

3. Test consolidation.
I used the DO command, reduced a lot of test sql code.
I don't know how to generate an interval.out file.
I hope the format is ok. I use https://sqlformat.darold.net/ format the sql
code.
Then I saw on the internet that one line should be no more than 80 chars.
so I slightly changed the format.

--
I recommend David Deutsch's <<The Beginning of Infinity>>

Jian

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8_0001_Support_infinite_interval.patch text/x-patch 6.5 KB