Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

From: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Alena Rybakina <a(dot)rybakina(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Date: 2024-02-16 12:54:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 1:32 PM Andrei Lepikhov
<a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> On 16/2/2024 07:00, jian he wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:21 AM Andrei Lepikhov
> > <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> > My OS: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
> > I already set the max_parallel_workers_per_gather to 10.
> > So for all cases, it should use parallelism first?
> >
> > a better question would be:
> > how to make the number of OR less than 29 still faster when
> > enable_or_transformation is ON by only set parameters?
> In my test environment this example gives some subtle supremacy to ORs
> over ANY with only 3 ors and less.
> Please, provide next EXPLAIN ANALYZE results for the case you want to
> discuss here:
> 1. with enable_or_transformation enabled
> 2. with enable_or_transformation disabled
> 3. with enable_or_transformation disabled but with manual transformation
> OR -> ANY done, to check the overhead of this optimization.

you previously mentioned playing with parallel_tuple_cost and
parallel_setup_cost.
(https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/e3338e82-a28d-4631-9eec-b9c0984b32d5%40postgrespro.ru)

So I did by
`
SET parallel_setup_cost = 0;
SET parallel_tuple_cost = 0;
`

After setting these parameters, overall enable_or_transformation ON is
performance better.
sorry for the noise.
so now I didn't find any corner case where enable_or_transformation is
ON peforms worse than when it's OFF.

+typedef struct OrClauseGroupEntry
+{
+ OrClauseGroupKey key;
+
+ Node *node;
+ List *consts;
+ Oid scalar_type;
+ List *exprs;
+} OrClauseGroupEntry;

I found that the field `scalar_type` was never used.