Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables

From: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
To: Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables
Date: 2023-06-10 01:20:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 5:42 PM Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 9, 2023 at 1:25 PM Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im> wrote:
>>
>> > $ pgbench -i -I dtGvp -s 500
>>
>> The steps are severely under-documented in pgbench --help output.
>

> I agree it's not easy to find information. I just went through double checking I had the order recently enough to remember what I did. The man pages have this:
>
> > Each step is invoked in the specified order. The default is dtgvp.
>
> Which was what I wanted to read. Meanwhile the --help output says:
>
> > -I, --init-steps=[dtgGvpf]+ (default "dtgvp")
>
> %T$%%Which has the information without a lot of context for what it's used for. I'd welcome some text expansion that added a minimal but functional improvement to that the existing help output; I don't have such text.

Please see attached 2 variants of the patch. Variant 1 simply tells
the reader to consult pgbench documentation. The second variant
provides a description for each of the letters, as the documentation
does. The committer can pick the one they find suitable.

Best regards,
Gurjeet
http://Gurje.et

Attachment Content-Type Size
variant-2-detailed-description.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB
variant-1-brief-pointer-to-docs.patch application/octet-stream 860 bytes