Alter table documentation page (again)

From: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Alter table documentation page (again)
Date: 2018-12-06 17:30:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was trying to answer a former colleague question about postgres' default
behaviour when deleting or updating when she pointed out that Postgres
alter table documentation page used twice the 'action' keywords for two
different things.

And indeed she is right :
- it's used to described any action actionable with ALTER TABLE statement
- and also to reference action taken on update or delete

Here are my thoughts about that conflict :
- We should keep the action keyword for on update or on delete action as
it's what's done on the CREATE TABLE documentation page.
- Option 1: We could either categorized the "actions" we can do with ALTER
TABLE (as column_action, trigger_action, constraint_action, rule_action,
other_action), but I'm not a big fan of "other_action" and I can't think of
another name
- Option 2: Or we could just rename the first action as "alter-table_action"

Any thought ? Which option do you prefer ? I can write the patch, but I'd
like to know what you think about that.

Anyway, thanks to Brigitte Blanc-Lafay tohave pointed this out! :-)

Cheers,

Lætitia
--
*Think! Do you really need to print this email ? *
*There is no Planet B.*