Re: [Doc Patch] Clarify that CREATEROLE roles can GRANT default roles

From: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Doc Patch] Clarify that CREATEROLE roles can GRANT default roles
Date: 2021-02-23 06:18:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 10:05 AM Michael Banck
<michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 28.12.2020, 20:41 +0900 schrieb Masahiko Sawada:
> > On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 7:50 AM Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de> wrote:
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/default-roles.html mentions the
> > > "Administrator" several times, but does not specify it further. I
> > > understand that it is mentioned elsewhere [1], but I think it would be
> > > beneficial to remind the reader on that page at least once that
> > > "Administrators" includes "roles with the CREATEROLE privilege" in the
> > > context of GRANTing and REVOKEing default privileges, e.g. with the
> > > attached patch.

Took look at the wording and +1 from me on the proposed change. FWIW,
I believe the preceding sentence would be more grammatically correct
if the word "which" was replaced with "that", ie. PostgreSQL provides
a set of default roles /that/ provide access to certain, commonly
needed, privileged capabilities and information.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net