Incomplete startup packet errors

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Incomplete startup packet errors
Date: 2016-04-13 08:02:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It's fairly common to see a lot of "Incomplete startup packet" in the
logfiles caused by monitoring or healthcheck connections.

I wonder if it would make sense to only log that error if *at least one
byte* has been received and then it becomes empty. Meaning that if the
client just connects+disconnects without sending anything, we don't log
anything. At least at the default log level (we could have a DEBUG level
that logged "connection closed immediately").

That would get rid of a lot of logspam.

Would that make sense?

--
Magnus Hagander