Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID
Date: 2011-07-03 19:06:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 20:51, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2011-06-30 at 15:09 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Robert Hass (whose name I misspelled in the commit message above) just
>> mentioned to me (in an answer to my apologizing about it) that he
>> didn't think that mentioning sponsors for patch development was a good
>> idea.
>>
>> I don't think we have a policy for this, but I have done it for some
>> time now and nobody has complained, so I sort of assumed it was okay.
>> Besides, some of the people pouring the money in does care about it;
>> moreover, it provides a little incentive for other companies that
>> might also be in a position to fund development but lack the "peer
>> approval" of the idea, or a final little push.
>
> I think commit messages should be restricted to describing what was
> changed and who is responsible for it.  Once we open it for things like

+1.

> sponsorship, what's to stop people from adding personal messages, what
> they had for breakfast, "currently listening to", or just selling
> advertising space in each commit message for 99 cents?

Well, listing the sponsor pretty much *is* selling advertising
space... Though I hope it was more than 99 cents ;)

We definitely need a good venue for advertising sponsorship of
features, but I don't think the commit message is that.

(Also, a lot of the commit messages would contain "feature sponsored
by redhat" for example - else we'd exclude those who invest a *lot* of
time and money in postgres while promoting those that spend money on
single and/or smaller things..)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/