Re: Adding Node support in outfuncs.c and readfuncs.c

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Node support in outfuncs.c and readfuncs.c
Date: 2011-12-04 19:08:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:50, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> What you've got here could be useful
>> to people who use emacs and understand they've got to hand-check the
>> results.  I'm not sure how much further it'd be useful to go.
>
> Agreed. That's the reason why I'm proposing src/tools/editors in the
> first place. I find that it's enough for most of the Nodes I've been
> dealing with recently (all the ones that initdb uses, for starters), and
> for the other ones it helps a lot in adding the to-be-hand-edited code
> at the right place in the right files.
>
> The goal for this tool is to be more useful an advice to Emacs users
> than the usual "pick another patch that added syntax in the past and try
> to reproduce what it did as far as nodes support functions goes".
>
> I can also maintain that in a separate git repository on github, but
> that only reduces the already very thin population that could find it
> useful.

Since people seem to be less than super-enthusiastic about putting
into the core distro, perhaps it would at least be a good
startingpoint to do this? Should we perhaps consider a "postgres
developer tools" common repository with just a random bunch of tools
that people come up with (I assume there are more than just one of
them sitting around peoples environments..)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/