Re: initdb recommendations

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: initdb recommendations
Date: 2019-05-24 12:29:12
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 2:19 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * Joe Conway (mail(at)joeconway(dot)com) wrote:
> scram-sha-256 as
> FWIW I

> password
> yet, so it

> and once
> default, then

> actually

> loudly
> > >
> > > Sure, we should point it out, but I don't know that it needs to be
> > > screamed from the rooftops considering the packagers have already been
> > > largely ignoring our defaults here anyway...
> >
> > Yeah, I thought about that, but anyone not using those packages will be
> > in for a big surprise. Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly endorse the
> > change, but I predict many related questions on the lists, and anything
> > we can do to mitigate that should be done.
>
> You think there's someone who builds from the source and just trusts
> what we have put in for the defaults in pg_hba.conf..?
>
> I've got a really hard time with that idea...
>
> I'm all for making people aware of it, but I don't think it justifies
> being the top item of the release notes or some such. Frankly, anything
> that starts with "If you build from source, then..." is already going to
> be pretty low impact and therefore low on the list of things we need to
> cover in the release notes, et al.

I think changing away from "trust" is going to be a much smaller change
than people seem to worry about.

It will hit people *in the developer community*.

The thing that will potentially hit *end users* is when the RPMs, DEBs or
Windows Installers switch to SCRAM (because of clients with older drivers).
But they have *already* stopped using trust many many years ago.

Making the default change away from trust in the source distro will affect
few people.

Making the default change of password_encryption -> scram will affect a
*lot* of people. That one needs to be more carefully coordinated.

--
Magnus Hagander