pg_upgrade analyze script

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade analyze script
Date: 2020-10-06 09:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For a long time now, pg_upgrade drops a script (analyze_new_cluster.sh)
that just calls vacuumdb to run the analyze in stages. This script made a
lot of sense back when it actually implemented the stages, but these days
since it's just calling a single command, I think it's just unnecessary
complication.

I suggest we drop it and just replace it with instructions to call vacuumdb
directly.

Attached patch does this. It also removes the support in the instructions
that talk about pre-8.4 databases, which I believe is dead code per
https://postgr.es/m/CABUevEx-D0PNVe00tkeQRGennZQwDtBJn=
493MJt-x6sppbUxA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com(dot)

--
Magnus Hagander

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade_analyze.patch text/x-patch 8.4 KB