Re: 8.2.23 packages?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.23 packages?
Date: 2012-05-07 08:55:31
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> I'm ready to deploy a box for apt.postgresql.org whenever we're ready
>> to make some sort of move on it. Perhaps we should do it pre-emptively
>> and just not add the DNS alias for it yet :D
>
> Yeah, I think just do it is the right way forward here. Christoph, are
> you ok with that URL having a mirror of your current distribution,
> basically so that you can break pgapt anytime you want knowing that real
> users are using apt.postgresql.org? :)

Ok, I'll start the process for getting this box up and running.

>> If so, do we have *any* estimate on amount of disk space? We can
>> expand as we need, but we need to make sure we put it on a box with
>> ample host disk space in the first place...
>
> Christoph? :)

yes, Christoph? ;)

>>>  - a complete build infrastructure with machines, chroots or VMs,
>>>   scripts to run all the process
>>
>> Yeah.
>>

>>>  - a team with enough time to actually drive the builds when that's
>>>   necessary
>>
>> And a team to build said infrastructure ;)
>
> I see you're volunteering. I know Christoph has some hand prepared VMs
> to do the builds on, and I've been trying to automate using either
> chroots or pbuilder images but failed both way. I didn't have as much
> time as I wanted to though, so I guess it's not a dead-end.

Well, I am volunteering to help, and to be part of the team :-) But
note that it still need to be a team :P

Is your github repo the authoritative repository?

>> If we can put together a well broken-down list of what we need done,
>> and a basic location for diong those things, I can contribute to do
>> some of the work on that as well. I'm no expert in debian packaging,
>> though I've done it a fair bit for simple stuff, but I can certainly
>> help to chew away at small items. It's also something that I can do
>> "during work hours", since we have numerous customers using these
>> systems that would be very happy to see this resolved...
>
> See if you can script the build setup maintenance, that needs to be able
> to:
>
>  - clone and review https://github.com/dimitri/apt.postgresql.org
>  - note that you're register as a contributor there now
>  - have build envs for lenny, squeeze, testing, sid
>  - add in ubuntu releases such as natty, oeniric and following
>  - automate building of all PG packages from Christoph in there
>
> When you're able to build the VM/chroot/whatever then build the 5
> PostgreSQL versions we want in there, then it's getting interesting.

:-)

>  - automate build of all PG extensions in each environment
>  - move the packages into a public testing place

I honestly think that those two can well happen in the other order.

> Then maybe we should have some basic testing, but that's a later step.
>
> I'd like for Christoph to comment on those items before to add them at
> any wiki like reference place.

+1

--
 Magnus Hagander