Single pass vacuum - take 1

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Single pass vacuum - take 1
Date: 2011-07-12 20:47:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

As per discussion here
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-05/msg01119.php

PFA a patch which implements the idea with some variation.

At the start of the first pass, we remember the current LSN. Every page that
needs some work is HOT-pruned so that dead tuples are truncated to dead line
pointers. We collect those dead line pointers and mark them as
dead-vacuumed. Since we don't have any LP flag bits available, we instead
just use the LP_DEAD flag along with offset value 1 to mark the line pointer
as dead-vacuumed. The page is defragmented and we store the LSN remembered
at the start of the pass in the page special area as vacuum LSN. We also
update the free space at that point because we are not going to do a second
pass on the page anymore.

Once we collect all dead line pointers and mark them as dead-vacuumed, we
clean-up the indexes and remove all index pointers pointing to those
dead-vacuumed line pointers. If the index vacuum finishes successfully, we
store the LSN in the pg_class row of the table (needs catalog changes). At
that point, we are certain that there are no index pointers pointing to
dead-vacuumed line pointers and they can be reclaimed at the next
opportunity.

During normal operations or subsequent vacuum, if the page is chosen for
HOT-prunung, we check if has any dead-vacuumed line pointers and if the
vacuum LSN stored on the page special area is equal to the one stored in the
pg_class row, and reclaim those dead-vacuum line pointers (the index
pointers to these line pointers are already taken care of). If the pg_class
LSN is not the same, the last vacuum probably did not finish completely and
we collect the dead-vacuum line pointers just like other dead line pointers
and try to clean up the index pointers as usual.

I ran few pgbench tests with the patch. I don't see much difference in the
overall tps, but the vacuum time for the accounts table reduces by nearly
50%. I neither see much difference in the overall bloat, but then pgbench
uses HOT very nicely and the accounts table got only couple of vacuum cycles
in my 7-8 hour run.

There are couple of things that probably need more attention. I am not sure
if we need to teach ANALYZE to treat dead line pointers differently. Since
they take up much less space than a dead tuple, they should definitely have
a lower weight, but at the same time, we need to take into account the
number of indexes on the table. The start of first pass LSN that we are
remembering is in fact the start of the WAL page and I think there could be
some issues with that, especially for very tiny tables. For example, first
vacuum may run completely. If another vacuum is started on the same table
and say it gets the same LSN (because we did not write more than 1 page
worth WAL in between) and if the second vacuum aborts after it cleaned up
few pages, we might get into some trouble. The likelihood of such things
happening is very small, but may be its worth taking care of it. May be we
can get the exact current LSN and not store it in the pg_class if we don't
do anything during the cycle.

Comments ?

Thanks,
Pavan
--
Pavan Deolasee

Attachment Content-Type Size
Single-Pass-Vacuum-v1.patch text/x-patch 36.1 KB