Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date: 2012-12-08 12:50:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Michael Paquier
> > OK. Let's do that and then mark this patch as ready for committer.
> > Thanks,
>
> Those changes have been made.

Cool. Thanks.

> Something I was just thinking about while testing this again. I
> mentioned the issue before about someone meaning to put -v and putting
> -V instead and it being a potential source of problems. What about
> making verbose the default and removing -v and adding -q to make it
> quiet? This would also match other tools behavior. I want to get this
> wrapped up and I am fine with it as is, but just wanted to ask what
> others thought.

Bruce mentionned that pg_isready could be used directly by pg_ctl -w.
Default as being non-verbose would make sense. What are the other tools you
are thinking about? Some utilities in core?

Except if you change the default behavior, let's change this patch status
as ready to committer.

Thanks,
--
Michael Paquier