Re: BUG #13594: pg_ctl.exe redirects stderr to Windows Events Log if stderr is redirected to pipe

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #13594: pg_ctl.exe redirects stderr to Windows Events Log if stderr is redirected to pipe
Date: 2016-01-08 07:11:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> brolga is still unhappy:
>
>> ... Now, backbranches are proving that compiling pg_ctl.c with those
>> routines copied in it actually works fine, so based on my limited time
>> for the next couple of days, it may be better to just revert the patch
>> entirely on HEAD and apply what has been pushed into back branches to
>> stabilize the buildfarm, this will address the bug entirely. And it is
>> no good to keep the buildfarm red for long,
>
> Hm, narwhal just reported in green, which I was not expecting, and so did
> frogmouth. So brolga seems like an outlier. I think reverting might be
> an overreaction. At this point the question is more like "how is brolga
> different from the other non-MSVC Windows critters?". Perhaps Andrew
> can offer some insight.

That's a good sign at least :)

Looking at the logs, the main difference is that win32security.c is
not compiled in -lpgport for cygwin, and cygwin goes through
src/include/port/win32.h to refer to some routines, so I would think
that the correct fix is to add win32security.c to the list of OBJS for
cygwin. So the attached is correct perhaps? That's a blind fix I don't
have cygwin set up on my machines now.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
20160107_cygwin_fix.patch application/x-patch 301 bytes