Re: pg_rewind in contrib

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)uptime(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <mpaquier(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_rewind in contrib
Date: 2015-01-15 05:30:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Here is a new version. There are now a fair amount of code changes compared
> to the version on github, like the logging and progress information, and a
> lot of comment changes. I also improved the documentation.

Perhaps this could a direct link to the page of pg_rewind with <xref
linkend="app-pgrewind">?
- possibly new, system. Once complete, the primary and standby can be
+ possibly new, system. The <application>pg_rewind</> utility can be
+ used to speed up this process on large clusters.
+ Once complete, the primary and standby can be

Missing a dot a the end of the phrase of this paragraph:
+ <para>
+ This option specifies the target data directory that is synchronized
+ with the source. The target server must shut down cleanly before
+ running <application>pg_rewind</application>
+ </para>

Compilation of pg_rewind on MSVC is not done. It is still listed as a
contrib/ in Mkvcbuild.pm.

The compilation of pg_xlogdump fails because inclusion of
dbcommands_xlog.h is missing in rmgrdesc.c (patch attached).

src/bin/Makefile has not been updated to compile pg_rewind.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-rewind-bin-5-fix.patch text/x-patch 431 bytes