Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)
Date: 2015-01-20 01:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Here is a continuation of the thread which covered $subject for MinGW
and Cygwin:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/51F19059.7050702@pgexperts.com
But this time it is for MSVC.

Just a bit of background... Since commit cb4a3b04 we are installing
shared libraries in bin/ and lib/ for Cygwin and MinGW on Windows, but
we are still missing MSVC, so as of now build method is inconsistent.
Attached is a patch aimed at fixing this inconsistency. What it does
is simple: when kicking Install.pm to install the deliverables of each
project, we check if the project Makefile contains SO_MAJOR_VERSION.
If yes, libraries of this project are installed in bin/ and lib/. The
path to the Makefile is found by scanning ResourceCompile in the
vcproj file, this method having the advantage to make the patch
independent of build process.

This also removes a wart present in Install.pm installing copying
manually libpq.dll:
- lcopy($target . '/lib/libpq.dll', $target . '/bin/libpq.dll');

I am adding an entry in the upcoming CF for this patch, and let's use
this thread for this discussion.
Regards,
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Install-shared-libraries-in-bin-and-lib-with-MSVC.patch application/x-patch 2.8 KB