Re: pg_receivewal and messages printed in non-verbose mode

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal and messages printed in non-verbose mode
Date: 2017-06-14 04:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 13 June 2017 at 14:33, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Those come from stop_streaming in pg_receivewal.c. Shouldn't those
>> messages only show up to the user if --verbose is used? It seems
>> strange to me that at least the first one is written to the user as
>> that's not an error after promoting a standby.
>
> I agree. At least the first should be --verbose only.

I have been looking at all the code surrounding pg_receivewal and
pg_recvlogical and those are indeed the two only places where we print
a message in non-verbose mode even if those are not explicit errors.
pg_recvlogical does not show up any messages when it is signaled or
when it receives SIGINT or reaches the end of LSN position. I don't
think that this is worth complicating the code for, just noticed the
inconsistency on the way.

Perhaps a committer will care about that. Or not. For now I am just
adding that in the CF.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
receivewal-verbose-fix.patch application/octet-stream 990 bytes