Re: Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Install shared libs in lib/ and bin/ with MSVC (Was: install libpq.dll in bin directory on Windows / Cygwin)
Date: 2015-03-04 12:13:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Asif Naeem wrote:
>> Thank you Michael. I have looked the patch.
>
> Thanks for the review!
>
>> Overall logic looks good to me,
>> I have checked it with MSVC{2013,2008}. It works for MSVC 2013 but fail for
>> MSVC 2008, I think the condition "if ($proj =~
>> qr{ResourceCompile\s*Include="([^"]+)"})" is not going to work for MSVC2008
>> and MSVC2005 i.e.
>> [...]
>
> Thanks for the details, my patch is definitely missing vcproj entries.
> Note that I don't have yet an environment with MSVC 2008 or similar, I
> just got 2010 on my box for now. So you will have to wait until I have
> a fresh environment to get an updated patch...

OK, so I have been able to figure out a regex expression scanning for
win32ver.rc in RelativePath for a vcproj file. For vcxproj files, I am
still using ResourceCompile. Attached is the promised patch.

>> Although this patch is going to make MSVC
>> build consistent with Cygwin and MinGW build, following files seems
>> redundant now, is there any use for them other than backward compatibility ?
>> i.e.
>>> inst\lib\libpq.dll
>>> inst\lib\libpgtypes.dll
>>> inst\lib\libecpg_compat.dll
>>> inst\lib\libecpg.dll
>
> Indeed, I haven't noticed them. But we can simply remove them as they
> are installed in bin/ as well with this patch, it seems better for
> consistency with MinGW and Cygwin in any case.

Those entries are removed as well in the patch.

Regards,
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
20150304_win_msvc_install_v2.patch text/x-diff 3.3 KB