Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, brown(at)fastmail(dot)com, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password
Date: 2015-11-03 13:06:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 6:10 AM, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Michael Paquier wrote:
>>>
>>> Meh? Why the parent connection? You could simply have the password as
>>> an argument of connectDatabase, per se the attached. That looks just
>>> more simple.
>>
>> Thanks! This is almost there, but there's an important missing piece --
>> vacuumdb --all will ask you for a password for each database. I think
>> vacuum_one_database needs to receive a password from its caller too.

Argh, right.

> Here I attached a separate patch to handle the reuse of password for
> vacuumdb -all
> case. The same behavior exists in all supported branches.

Sure. Still you don't actually need a double pointer as you do. You
could just reuse the password from the connection obtained via
connectMaintenanceDatabase and pass the password from this connection
as the argument to vacuum_one_database. Something like the attached
seems more elegant IMO.

>> (Also, please use pg_strdup.)
> The simple_prompt function in connectDatabase allocates memory for password
> using malloc. Because of this reason he used strdup instead of pstrdup to avoid
> adding a separate code to handle both the cases.

Yep. That's the deal.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
20151102_scripts_parallel_v2.patch text/x-patch 11.5 KB